Monday, March 4, 2013

Chocolate Raspberry Shortbread Bars - SRC

 

For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned to the blog, Keenan Cookbook.  Chris and Rachel started their blog as a way to record all their special family recipes.  As they say, no more index cards, notebooks, etc.  I can definitely relate to that.  And I love that they're so willing to share their "secret" recipes, passed down from generation to generation, all filled with delicious memories. 

I had decided at first to try their Apple Upside Down Bread, a Keenan family original.  But, since I was in the mood for cookies one night, I turned to the recipe for Raspberry Chocolate Shortbread Bars.  Strangely enough, just hours after I had finished making the bars, my oven went kaput.  So, I wasn't able to make the bread as planned.  That said, however, I'm glad my oven held out just long enough to make the bars.  


I did make some changes to the recipe.  Since I don't have baking mix on hand, I whipped up a shortbread crust instead.  Then, because you can never have too much chocolate, I doubled the amount of the filling.   I also increased the amount of raspberry jam and swirled it into the filling.  Finally, I left out the pecans due to allergies (although these would probably also be great with almonds or hazelnuts).  

 

All I can say is that these bars were amazing!  So fudgy and rich.  They tasted exactly like my favorite chocolate raspberry truffles (who needs See's after this???).  Doubling the chocolate filling was definitely a good idea since it made for the perfect ratio of chocolate to crust.  And, they were super pretty to boot with that lovely jam all swirled into the top.  I couldn't be more pleased with how they turned out and am so glad that I got to give this recipe a try.

By the way, several weeks later, I got a new oven and made these bars a SECOND time for a church potluck.  The whole plateful got scooped up in no time at all.  Just goes to show how good these bars really are.  They're truly an SRC keeper!  

Raspberry Chocolate Shortbread Bars (adapted from Keenan Cookbook)

1/2 c. salted butter, softened
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
4 Tbsp. seedless raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line an 8x8 pan with foil 

Cream the butter with the sugar.  Add the flour and mix until you have a soft dough (it will be a little crumbly).  Press evenly in the pan to cover the bottom.  Prick all over with a fork.  Bake until the edges brown, about 15 min. 

For the filling, combine the condensed milk and 1 cup chips in a saucepan over medium heat.  Stir continually until the chocolate chips melt and everything is well combined.  Spread evenly over the hot crust. 

Stir the raspberry jam in a bowl until it is smooth.  Dollop over the chocolate filling in lines and use a butter knife to swirl it into the chocolate.  Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.  Bake until the filling is set, about 30 min.  Cool.  Lift from pan using the foil and cut into bars.  

19 comments:

  1. Lisa, I can always count on you to make something that makes me want something sweet! Nice pick for the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! These look amazing! I love chocolate and raspberry! And with shortbread. A trifecta of awesomeness! Pinned it =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look amazing! I'm a huge fan of shortbread and while I normally top with nutella, might have to try the raspberry/chocolate combination. Awesome SRC pick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow do those look fantastic. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double chocolate and extra raspberry, you're a girl after my own heart. Your bars look perfectly wonderful!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Loaded Potato Soup.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fantastic. I'm always a fan of chocolate and raspberry together, and the fact that it's a gooey, super-rich bar doesn't hurt either. :)
    I've got these saved to try out the next time I have company coming over, mostly because I'm worried that otherwise I'd eat the whole batch by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love anything with chocolate and fruit! I would have scooped those up in no time! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a coincidence; I made and posted some bars almost identical to these (shortbread crust and all) just last month. From a different source though. So I can personally attest that they are AMAZING! The chocolate and raspberry together is so good; probably one of my favorite flavor combos. Great choice for this month's SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great recipe- yay for src :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These bars look really really fudgy and rich! You are right, one can never have too much chocolate...actually it's never enough! hehe.
    xoxo
    Gemma.
    www.cinnamongirldelights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The combo of shortbread, raspberries and chocolate is so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite combinations--chocolate and raspberry. These look like a perfect pick. I even want to just make fudge now and swirl in raspberry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These bars look amazing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM!! Chocolate and Shortbread!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love anything with chocolate and sweetened condensed milk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look rich and wonderful, Lisa! I like your addition of a homemade shortbread crust :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fantastic bar cookie. I had your blog this month and made your delicious Orange Cheesecake Cookie Cups.

    ReplyDelete
  18. uh ooo...came by to link for this week's party but...can't find it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love raspberry truffles. These look so fudgey and delicious. I'll have to make these soon. Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete