Monday, March 15, 2010

Un-PC S'mores Bars

(picture courtesy of Taste of Home)


Okay, so these aren't really s'mores bars since there's no graham crackers anywhere in the recipe. But, it's what my family has always called them and old habits die hard. However, as Shakespeare once put it, "What's in a name?" That which is sometimes called a Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bar by any other name would taste as sweet, which is exactly what these are. They are chocolatey, they are gooey, they are crispy - they're like a candy bar on top of cake. In a word, they are amazing and you MUST make these.

I hadn't made them in years, but there was a cookie contest at my ward that I wanted to enter and if I intended to win, this was no time for any mere chocolate chip cookie. No, I needed to pull out the big guns. Hence, I made these. One bite of them and I was transported back to my childhood. It's definitely one of my faves and worth making again and again, especially since it's so easy to put together and doesn't require making anything from scratch.

Unfortunately, although they were delicious (dare I say out-of-this world good), and a lot of people enjoyed them, they did not win the cookie contest. Oh boo. Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'll just have to find something even better for next time (though, really, how do you top chocolate, peanut butter, and marshmallows). Oh well, I guess you'll just have to make this recipe and judge for yourself. They may not have won the contest, but they'll definitely win over your tastebuds.


S'mores Bars:

1 box Devil's Food Cake mix
1 (10 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 (12 oz.)bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 c. Rice Krispies

Make the cake as directed on the box and divide the batter into two 9x13 pans. Bake at 350F for 15 min. Spread the mini marshmallows evenly over the cake and bake for 3 min. more or until nicely melted, but not browned.

Combine the peanut butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium-low heat and stir till completely melted and combined. Remove from heat and add the Rice Krispies. (by the way, this mixture alone would make an excellent candy bar, but if you can fight the urge to eat it all right now, proceed to the next step)

Carefully spread the chocolate mixture onto the marshmallow layer. (it's easier if you sort of dollop it on and spread it with your fingers) Chill for several hours or overnight in the fridge until the chocolate layer is set. Cut into bars and enjoy.

Makes 48 bars

No comments:

Post a Comment