Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lower Fat Potato Soup

Okay, I may be all baked out, but I'm not all cooked out. After all, man cannot live on cookies and cake alone. I needed some real food, okay, healthy food to counteract the sweets that are now calling me from the kitchen. So, I made up a big pot of potato soup. It actually came out pretty good and it's something that I would make again. Of course, I'm sure it's not as good as the "real" thing made with cream or made all of milk instead of my watered down version. But, I have to cut corners somewhere, especially if I intend to chase the bowl of soup with one of my cookies or bars.


Lower Fat Potato Soup (adapted from allrecipes.com)

8 c. chicken broth (or 8 c. water + 8 tsp. chicken bouillon)
3 c. skim milk
3 large potatoes, sliced thin and into quarters
1 onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder and/or dill
1 1/3 c. potato flakes

Saute the onion until soft. Add the chicken broth and milk. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, and seasonings and simmer until potatoes are soft. Add the potato flakes to reach your desired thickness.

If desired, instead of the dill or garlic powder, curry power works well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment